Research Associate Job Description
Research Associate Job Description
Sylvatex is a green nanochemistry company with a mission to eliminate transportation emissions. Our bio-based, nanoplatforms are engineered systems that manipulate chemicals, fabricate materials and structures, produce energy and enhance our environment by providing lower cost and/or higher-performing solutions. Our IP-protected platform and growing database address multiple billion-dollar markets – from next-generation batteries materials to low carbon fuels – while significantly reducing our carbon footprint in key industrial applications.
As a Research Associate at Sylvatex, you will provide support in the development of new materials and Li-ion battery testing. You are passionate about making a positive impact on the environment with innovative clean energy solutions. You are proactive and capable of operating in a fast-paced, startup environment with little supervision. Curiosity and optimism are two of your superpowers. You have vision. Like a master architect, when you see a path, you create a roadmap and iterate and build from there.
This role will report to the Technical Lead. Responsibilities and duties include (but are not limited to):
- Ensure proper document progress in laboratory notebooks, memos, and reports
- Ensure transfer of information to SOPs and report results and data in written reports
- Carry out wet chemistry procedure including synthesis of cathode materials and basic material characterization
- Prepare electrode for battery assembly and testing
- Collect and evaluate material performance and properties data
- Support technical team for material development and reaction scale-up
- Collaborate with industrial and academic partners for performance and materials demonstration
- Monitor and evaluate new developments in the literature and propose improvements for Sylvatex technology
- Provide administrative support
- Maintain clean and well-organized lab areas, meeting all safety regulations
- Implement safe work practices (as defined by OSHA and company policies) to deliver an incident-free workplace
- Inform management and the CTO of any incident within 24 hours
Sylvatex requires a Research Associate who can actively participate in the production of cathode materials and testing of battery materials. At the same time, as a member of the technical team, this person is also expected to contribute to the overall research and development strategy and its implementation.
- Bachelor or Master Degree in Chemistry, Material Science or equivalent.
- Minimum 1 years plus of wet-chemistry lab experience in the relevant fields (chemistry, advanced materials, nanomaterials, batteries, etc)
- Experience in operation of XRD, SEM, PSA, and ICP
- Demonstrated ability to adhere to safety culture
- Experience at a start‐up company a plus
- Self-starter and bias for action – does things before being asked to or forced to by events
- Demonstrates understanding of internal and external customer needs exceeds expectations
- Promotes open & effective written and verbal communication
- Actively promotes a positive team spirit
- Actively engages and respects the diverse contributions of team, partners or networks
- Anticipates future situations and plans ahead to meet them
- Demonstrates openness to new ideas
- Looks for ways to do things better, faster, more efficiently
- Flexibility, adaptability, and success at multi‐tasking; willingness and ability to participate in multiple programs simultaneously
- Proven teamwork skills with demonstrated ability to deliver objectives in a cross-functional team environment
- Excellent problem solver
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to do this job. The above information is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
- Full time (4-5 days per week) in the lab, primarily at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory or other close by
- A part-time position can be considered for the right candidate
Paid Position: Based on Experience
Please Note: No visa sponsorship and No relocation assistance
Contact: Please submit your information to this form to apply.