Sylvatex Job description:
Sylvatex, a green nanochemistry company, is solving some of the world’s biggest chemical problems. Made of biomaterials, our nanoparticles are engineered systems that manipulate chemicals, fabricate materials and structures, produce energy and enhance our environment by providing lower cost and/or higher performing solutions. Our IP-protected platform and growing database addresses multiple billion-dollar markets – from next-generation batteries materials to fuels while significantly reducing our carbon footprint in key industrial applications. After over six years and a lot of sweat, tears and early successes, we are at an inflection point where all our innovations will create huge value for the market and do good for the planet.
As a Materials Scientist at Sylvatex, you will provide expert knowledge in new materials, battery production, and perform extensive battery testing. You are passionate about making a positive impact on the environment with innovative clean energy solutions. You are proactive and capable of operating in a fast-paced, startup environment with little supervision. Curiosity and optimism are two of your superpowers. You have vision. Like a master architect, when you see a path, you create a roadmap and iterate and build from there. This role will report to the Technical Lead.
- Develop models to facilitate understanding of key system parameters for batteries and establish specifications for cathode material
- Assemble half-coin cells and full pouch cell for testing
- Perform electrochemical testing and evaluate performance and property data
- Identify improvement options and resolve performance issues
- Collaborate within company’s technical team for material development
- Collaborate with industrial and academic partners for performance and materials demonstration
- Keep detailed records in laboratory notebooks aligned with company protocols. Document progress in reports or grants, as required.
- Monitor and evaluate new developments in the literature and propose improvements for Sylvatex technology
- Prepare disclosures for patent applications and scientific publications
- Reach out to experts for additional support, establish and manage relationships with testing laboratories, technical advisors, and service providers
- Support the company by educating the team and other parties about the current state of the industry.
- Serve as a key member of the technology team
- Spearhead business development and commercial initiatives that are consistent with the company’s overall strategy, including winning early customers with limited support.
- Manage multiple business initiatives in a start-up environment.
- Generate revenue, develop and manage strategic partnerships.
Requirements & Personal Attributes:
Sylvatex requires a materials scientist who can identify commercially viable, new materials and optimize battery composition/fabrication. Proactively problem solve performance or cost issues to capture commercial potential for Sylvatex products.. This person will need to actively lead the production and testing of battery materials. At the same time, this person, as a member of the technical team, is also expected to be a contributor to the overall research and development strategy and its implementation.
- Degree in Material Science or equivalent. PhD is preferred.
- 5 years plus of materials science experience in the relevant fields (advanced materials, energy, batteries, renewables)
- Hands-on experience to prepare lithium-ion half and full cell and test electrochemical performance
- A solid understanding of the battery material market: products, players, technologies, and a potential rolodex of contacts in related markets is a plus
- Experience managing multiple projects
- Demonstrated track record of delivery of innovation and commercial product development.
- Strong experience in battery development is a plus
- Good communicator, comfortable presenting to outside partners and interested parties
- Strong written skills for writing grant reporting
- Self-starter, with the demonstrated ability to operate in a start-up environment and under tight timelines
- Flexibility, adaptability, and success at multi‐tasking; willingness and ability to participate in multiple programs simultaneously. Experience at a start‐up company a plus.
- Proven teamwork skills with demonstrated ability to deliver objectives in a cross functional team environment
- Successful track record of new product, new application, and new formulation development is required
- Excellent problem solver
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to do this job. The above information is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
Contact: Please submit your information to this form to apply.
Sylvatex lab is located in Berkeley, California. We do not cover relocation costs, and you will need to pass a government background check to access the lab.