Chief Operations and Technical Officer
Note: Statements included in this description are intended to reflect in general, the duties and responsibilities of this position and are not to be interpreted as being all-inclusive.
Sylvatex, a green nanochemistry company, is solving some of the world’s biggest chemical problems. Made of biomaterials, our nanoparticles are engineered systems that manipulate chemicals, fabricate materials and structures, assist in energy production and enhance our environment in a cost effective way. Our IP-protected platform and growing database addresses multiple billion-dollar markets – from next-generation batteries materials to fuels while significantly reducing the toxic waste and carbon from industrial applications. After 6+ years and a lot of sweat, tears and early successes, we are at an inflection point where all our innovations will create huge value for the market and do good for the planet.
As Chief Operations and Technical Officer your primary role will be to develop and execute a multi-year technology roadmap that delivers a sustained flow of new and differentiated technology platforms that will provide Sylvatex with a strategic advantage in the marketplace. You will have day to day responsibility to oversee the technical operations of the company, both internal and through extensive external collaborations. This role will report directly to the Sylvatex Chief Executive Officer.
You are a game-changer who is passionate about making a positive impact on the environment through innovative clean energy solutions that will lower global GHGs. You are outgoing and proactive, capable of operating in a fast-paced, startup environment with little, or no, supervision and are comfortable with ambiguity. You have the demonstrated ability to engage a wide range of audiences and build credibility both laterally and vertically. Curiosity and optimism are two of your superpowers. You have vision. Like a master architect, when you see a path, you create a roadmap and iterate and build from there.
● Managing development of the product including in use demonstrations and partners with OEMs and other testing labs.
● A key contributor to developing a strategy for the short, medium and long term technology and research goals of the organization, including finding sources of grant and other funding opportunities.
● Collaborate with the CEO and other department heads to develop and align the overall business strategy and outline goals for an organization
● Manage an extensive network of collaborations and grant activities to achieve technical and business goals.
● Implementing new and innovative technologies to improve business processes and return on investment.
● Lead a consistent stage-gate review process for the enterprise to make funding decisions, assign resources, and make go / no go decisions on initiatives.
● Managing and executing on regulatory compliance, regulatory reporting and agency interface.
● Establishing organizational processes and protocols for the company in addition to managing and developing the department budget.
● Managing all technical aspects such as research & development, day to day productivity, data completeness and ensure proper recording, reporting, and storage of data.
● Recruiting and overseeing chemists and other technical professionals in the research and development of the technology.
● Be the focal point to interpret, and present technical team results
Requirements & Personal Attributes:
The ideal candidate will have successful scientific career and be an acknowledged leader in the area of material science, organic synthesis, process engineering, and commercialization of specialty chemicals. The COO/CTO will be a critical member of the executive team, providing insight to the strategy, ensure all technology development and process engineering efforts are aligned with this strategy, and contribution to the decisions regarding business partnerships, technical relationships and business development.
● A strategic and passionate thinker who drives results.
● A strong leader with intellectual curiosity and an optimistic approach to organizational transformation and growth.
● A thought leader in the area of expertise.
● Able to form strong relationships and collaborate effectively within a matrixed organization and across multiple collaborating entities.
● An exceptional communicator able to interpret complex scientific concepts to a broad range of audiences.
● Change agent who possesses a high level of initiative and personal candor.
● High level of credibility with the ability to coach and influence all levels including senior leaders.
● Combination of conceptual and execution skills; able to translate strategy into specific actions and implement them effectively
● Education: Minimum of Bachelor of Science in polymer science, chemistry, chemical engineering, or related fields is required. Advanced degrees including Ph.D. in related areas or an MBA are a plus.
Contact: Please submit your information to this form to apply.