Position Summary: Sylvatex, a fast-growing fuel technology startup, is seeking an energetic team player to lead research and development and manage technical operations. The role will have cross-functional responsibilities working closely with others to improve formula quality, establish process efficiency, and troubleshoot product failures. (S)he will work closely with the Chief Technologist to identify specific plans, protocols and develop the tactics and teams needed to bring them to fruition and will report directly to the Chief Executive Officer.
The ideal candidate is a technical leader with project management skills to implement the company operations and development strategy, and is comfortable with laboratory management. (S)he is a self-starter, can handle multiple objectives in a dynamic work environment, and will actively lead the technical function in an effective, aggressive manner. At the same time, this manager is also expected to be a contributor to the company as a member of the senior management team. This individual will be an expert and leader in the laboratory as it relates to technical support activities and will lead a group of chemist/technicians in the execution of their responsibilities.
Responsibilities: Time spent on each task will shift from time to time
50% of time spent: Working on individual projects in the lab
30% of time spent:
- Building and overseeing R&D team
- Managing day to day R&D productivity and lab operations
- Ensuring Proper Lab Management/Administration including: Data storage, recording, reporting, Interpretation and presentation of team results, Managing chemical, equipment, and supply purchases and inventory and testing requests, Weekly reporting and update memos
20% of time spent:
- Outlining development strategy with timelines etc. in collaboration with CTO for the short and long term technology/research goals of the organization
- Supporting other company operations as needed
- Appropriate academic training and 8 years plus of chemistry experience in relevant field
- Experience leading projects and managing a small technical team
- Experience working directly with a start-up/ early stage environment
- First-hand experience in the manufacturing/scale-up of products (not mandatory)
- Equivalent industry experience or a minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry or Chemical
- Experience processing vegetable oils and FFAs necessary
- Engineering is required, with an M.S. + 6 yr or PhD +4 yr preferred.
- Hands-on and laboratory experience